In 1894, a Board of Waterworks Trustees was formed to construct and administer a waterworks for the Village of Orrville.
The first plant opened in 1893 with 4 eight-inch wells, a small boiler, and a steam pump. In 1918, with a growing population and a greater demand for water services, 3 additional ten inch wells were drilled. In 1923, 3 more ten-inch wells were added, bringing the total to 10 wells.
With the continued growth in industry and population, a decision was made to construct a new water treatment plant capable of taking Orrville into the next century. The new $13 million facility, capable of treating 3.7 million gallons of water per day, was completed in late 1997. The current usage is approximately 1.9 million gallons per day.